The Australian National Data Service (ANDS) makes Australia’s research data assets more valuable for researchers, research institutions and the nation.
We are doing this through:
- Trusted partnerships: working with partners and communities on research data projects and collaborations
- Reliable services: delivering national services to support data discovery, connection, publishing, sharing, use and reuse
- Enhanced capability: building the data skills and capacity of Australia's research system.
Why this matters
Research is producing larger and more complex data than ever before. It is imperative that these data outputs are effectively managed and shared.
Better data – better described, more connected, more integrated and organised, more accessible, more easily used for new purposes – allows new questions to be answered, larger issues to be investigated, and data landscapes to be explored.
ANDS is here to help by leading the creation of a cohesive national collection of research resources and a richer data environment that will:
- make better use of Australia's research outputs
- enable Australian researchers to easily publish, discover, access and use data
- enable new and more efficient research.
Why manage data?
- Preserve the integrity of the research
- Allow data to be made available for others to use
- Assist researchers to reduce the risk of data loss
- Secure continued access to the value in data
Why connect data?
- Interlink data to people to projects to publications
- Improve the discoverability of data
- Tie data to research achievements
- Provide richer context for data value
Why make data discoverable?
- Enable the demonstration of research excellence
- Allow researchers to build upon existing data, instead of recreating it
- Foster innovation
- Provide the ability to solve big problems across discipline boundaries
Why reuse data?
- Verification of research claims
- New discoveries from existing data
- Integration of sets of data for new analysis
- Reanalysis of expensive, rare or unrepeatable investigations
- Reduction of duplicated effort