19 September 2016
The Research Data Alliance and CODATA have joined forces "to guide research stakeholders in the land of intellectual property", providing a set of practical guidelines for researchers dealing with the legal aspects of sharing data.
The high-level guidance is offered to all members of the research community - funders, data managers, librarians, archivists, publishers, policymakers, administrators, researchers, legal experts - who are engaged in the access to and reuse of research data from diverse sources.
The six principles discussed in the paper are:
- One: Facilitate the lawful access to and reuse of research data
- Two: Determine the rights to and responsibilities for the data
- Three: Balance the legal interests
- Four: State the rights transparently and clearly
- Five: Promote the harmonization of rights in research data
- Six: Provide proper attribution and credit for research data.
Work on the guidance was led by the RDA/CODATA Legal Interoperability Interest Group, which ANDS participates in.