23 (research data) Things is self-directed learning for anybody who wants to know more about research data.
If you are a person who cares for, and about, research data and want to fill in some gaps, learn more or find out what others are thinking, then this may be for you! Find out more: read the FAQs
It has been said that 80% of all research data has a geographic or spatial component.
- Getting started: get inspired by geospatial data saving lives and kick starting our economy
- Learn more: geospatial metadata is often the ‘missing link’ for cross disciplinary studies - find out how to fill in this missing link
- Challenge me: R, free GIS and Fusion are all available to tempt you for this Thing!
What's up next?
- 6 Sept: Community Catchup 12.30-1.30pmAEST Register
Meet the people behind the data records: Ivan Hanigan who created the Hutchinson Drought Index and the record and Dave Connell of the Australian Antarctic Division who created the Weddell Seals record.
12-16 Sep - Spring break. Take a break or catch up on some of the Things that you have missed
- Thing 21: Tools of the trade (released 29 Aug, focus week 19-23 Sep)
- Thing 22: What's in a name
- Thing 23: Making connections
Sprint to the Finish of 23 Things!
We had such a great response to the Crash Course for Things 1-12 that, in the spirit of the Olympics, we decided to Sprint to the Finish for 23 (research data) Things. There are 3 types of Sprints - all sessions cover the same Things, just in different ways:
- Step-by-Step through Things 13-23 : gently guided sessions for those who want a more structured session with background stories and mostly concentrating on Getting started (with a couple of excursions into Learn more)
- D.I.Y through Things 13-23.: is for those who would like uninterrupted time to work through Things 13-23. We will introduce each Thing Topic then you will have time to 'do your own Things" but interspersed with discussion. We will mostly concentrate on discussions of the Learn more and Challenge me activities.
- Things 13-23 - a Sprint to the Finish: a mixed session where there are stories and time to work on your own Things
Note: watch this space for more news and events. If these sessions fill we may be able to offer more sessions. Contact email@example.com if you would like to suggest a session in your area.
- Things 13-23 - a Sprint to the Finish: Wed, 14 Sept, 9:30-12:30pm. Register
- Things 13-23 - a Sprint to the Finish: Fri, 16 Sept, 9:30-12:30pm. Register
Run your own Sprint
If you want to run your own Sprint to the Finish, contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we can pass on workshop materials and ideas for your group session.