DataCite is an active global coalition addressing issues surrounding research data. These include, but are not limited to:
- standard methods for publication, citation and persistent identification of research datasets
- increasing access to research data
- increasing the acceptance of data as a legitimate citable research output.
It is a not-for-profit agency and member of the International DOI Foundation.
Members of DataCite include:
- German National Library of Science and Technology
- The Swedish National Data ServiceThe British Library
- Canada Institute for Scientific and Technical Information
- Office of Scientific and Technical Information - US Department of Energy
DataCite is a DOI (digital object identifier) registration agency. As one of the DataCite registration agents, ANDS is able to register research datasets and assign persistent identifiers (DOIs) to them. Being a member of DataCite enables ANDS to mint DOIs for Australian research datasets and to share the cost of, and responsibility for, DOI infrastructure.
ANDS provides persistent identifier services for research data collections to ensure they are identified uniquely and persistently. Using DOIs to identify data collections will increase the ability to track those that have been used in a scholarly manner.