The Australian Vocabulary Special Interest Group (AVSIG) provides a forum for discussion and activity in the use and creation of controlled vocabularies in research, data, information and collection management.
AVSIG has a Google Group Discussion List to support communication among members. Become an AVSIG member by subscribing to the discussion list. AVSIG also has a wiki site which includes information about scheduled meetings.
The objectives of AVSIG are to:
- provide a forum for information exchange in the field of vocabulary creation and use
- identify issues of common interest
- identify opportunities for collaboration across member organisations
- broaden knowledge about approaches and initiatives to the benefit of members and to inform project or service development
- liaise, coordinate and report from similar groups, such as the Research Data Alliance Vocabulary Services Interest Group, and the Australian Government Linked Data Working Group.
Participating in AVSIG
Membership is open to interested parties from Australian and international research organisations, including universities, research institutes, collecting organisations such as libraries, museums and galleries, and government agencies. Membership is also open to parties from commercial organisations such as publishers and database vendors, and industry more broadly.
AVSIG members are welcome to participate to any degree that suits. Some may wish to engage in discussion or explore opportunities for collaboration. Others may participate by simply being aware of the group's existence and sharing that information with colleagues.
Although supported by ANDS, AVSIG’s momentum is intended to be based on need within the community for information sharing and collaboration. ANDS supports community-driven initiatives which foster data sharing and interoperability. As a provider of vocabulary service, ANDS also has an interest in understanding broad areas of need in order to consider priorities for service development.